City go top with imperious Liverpool win

Manchester City moved top of the Barclays Women’s Super League with a comfortable 4-1 win over Liverpool.

Their cross-town rivals Manchester United climbed back into fourth spot with a 4-1 win over Everton while Aston Villa and Leicester City drew 2-2.

The final game of the weekend saw West Ham United and Brighton & Hove Albion play out a tentative 0-0 draw.

Bunny shines at Easter

Manchester City took advantage of Chelsea and Arsenal battling it out in the Conti Cup Final to rise to the summit of the BWSL.

They were given a helping hand by Liverpool in their 4-1 win as Lauren Hemp pounced on a parried clearance from Rachael Laws to open the scoring.

The hosts had looked impressive early on at Prenton Park but after going 1-0 down they quickly found themselves further behind.

Jess Park weaved her way round two Liverpool defenders to double City’s lead before a poor clearance from Laws found its way to Khadija Shaw who unleashed a ferocious strike for City’s third goal in eight first-half minutes.

The contest was over when Shaw rose highest to head home a fourth goal in the second half before Taylor Hinds saved Liverpool’s blushes with a beautiful long-range effort that bounced in off Khiara Keating in goal.

Daly delivers draw for Villa

In the final all-Midlands clash of the season, Rachel Daly struck in the 75th minute to rescue a draw for Aston Villa against Leicester City.

Adriana Leon had put the hosts ahead as she tapped in from close range as Villa scythed open the Foxes with strong build-up play.

But Leicester were behind for only two minutes before Yuka Momiki brought her side level with a clever low finish.

Momiki turned provider in the second half, sending a free-kick onto the head of Sam Tierney who nodded home off the post before a volley from Daly ensured the points were shared.

Toone double ensures United comeback

Ella Toone became the first Manchester United player to notch 50 goals as she helped her side to a 4-1 win over Everton.

The Toffees had taken the lead at Leigh Sports Village as Katja Snoeijs benefitted from a sloppy backpass from Maya Le Tissier to round Mary Earps and fire Everton ahead.

It took until the 57th minute for a dominant United to move level as Millie Turner headed home a Katie Zelem corner.

Toone then notched her half-century of goals as she fired home the rebound after Hannah Blundell struck the crossbar.

Her 51st United goal came five minutes as she hit a cutback from Lisa Naaslund into the back of the net before a late goal from Leah Galton completed the comeback.

West Ham and Brighton cancel each other out

Brighton dominated the opening exchanges before the two teams evened out with each struggling to create proper chances.

Riko Ueki was West Ham’s brightest spark in the first half and she had the best chance of the first 45 minutes, heading a fine Anouk Denton cross just wide at the back post.

Ueki’s Japanese teammate Honoka Hayashi then sparked the second half into life with a fine half-volley that Sophie Baggaley did well to keep out.

The Hammers had the ball in the back of the net in the 63rd minute but it was ruled out for a foul on Baggaley.

Brighton had the last big chance of the match as Elisabeth Terland’s effort hit a West Ham defender and led to pinball in the box hitting the post before bouncing to safety to ensure the game ended all square.

Share article