Nusken double helps Chelsea keep up heat with City at Barclays WSL summit

Sjoeke Nusken’s double helped Chelsea battle from behind against Brighton & Hove Albion and draw level with Manchester City at the summit of the Barclays Women’s Super League.

The German summer signing struck either side of half-time at Kingsmeadow as Emma Hayes’ defending champions responded to City’s 1-0 win at Leicester City 24 hours earlier.

Pauline Bremer’s early strike had fired the visitors into a shock lead before Nusken nodded home to level on the stroke of half-time.

And she grabbed her second just eight minutes into the second period as her curled effort helped turn the tables in south-west London.

Brighton defender Guro Bergsvand diverted into her own net to open up a two-goal deficit with 15 minutes remaining before substitute Aggie Beever-Jones made it four late on.

In-form striker Elisabeth Terland netted her fourth Brighton goal of the season in stoppage-time but Chelsea marched on to extend their unbeaten start to the campaign.

United cap sweet five-star display at Toffees

Manchester United were another side to continue their unbeaten record so far as they put five past Everton at Walton Hall Park.

Nikita Parris and Rachel Williams both netted twice after Melvine Malard’s early strike had set Marc Skinner’s side – who were knocked out of the Champions League against PSG in midweek – on course for the routine victory.

The Toffees offered some stubborn resistance to remain just one goal behind until the hour mark before Parris and Williams’ clinical exploits helped United secure their second win of the campaign.

Everton remain three points clear of the drop zone after last weekend’s derby day triumph against Merseyside rivals Liverpool.

Ueki salvages Hammers a point

Riko Ueki’s dramatic late leveller rescued West Ham United a point at home to Liverpool.

The Japanese ace netted in the fifth minute of stoppage-time in Chigwell to inflict an eleventh-hour blow on the Reds and prevent them from staying above Manchester United in the table.

Marie Hobinger’s ice-cool second-half opener looked to have laid the foundations for a hard-fought victory for Matt Beard’s side on the road.

But summer signing Ueki had other ideas, stabbing home late on grab the Hammers’ fourth point of the season in a thrilling finale in Essex.

McCabe grabs two as Arsenal banish away day blues

Katie McCabe scored twice to help Arsenal clinch their first away win of the season at Bristol City.

In front of a bumper 12,000-plus Sunday night crowd, the Republic of Ireland captain netted either side of the break to help the Gunners keep up the heat on the WSL pace-setters.

Rachel Furness’ header had levelled for the hosts but McCabe’s second-half strike leaves bottom-of-the-table City still searching for their first point after a tough start to the season.

Thomas heroics continue as Spurs breeze past Villa

In one of Saturday’s two WSL fixtures, Martha Thomas continued her red-hot scoring streak as her hat-trick propelled Tottenham Hotspur to an entertaining 4-2 win at Aston Villa.

The former Manchester United striker is the division’s top scorer with six and showed no signs of stopping her searing start to the season as her terrific treble, combined with Ashleigh Neville’s first-half strike, keeps them just one point behind both Manchester City and Chelsea.

Rachel Daly’s early penalty had hauled Villa into the lead before Thomas’ first and Neville’s first-half stoppage time strike left Villa with work to do after the break.

But Thomas’ quickfire double proved decisive as Lucy Parker’s late strike was nothing more than a consolation and Villa remain without a point in the league this season.

City lay down marker with steely Saturday triumph

Chloe Kelly’s early strike ended Leicester City’s unbeaten start to the season and sent Manchester City – temporarily – three points clear at the top of the league.

The England ace netted after just 10 minutes at the King Power Stadium after pouncing on some lacklustre Leicester defending and coolly slotting under Foxes goalkeeper Janina Leitzig.

Leicester rallied for a second-half leveller but were unable to find a breakthrough as their eye-catching start to the season came to an end.

Share article