Southampton win again as the Barclays Women’s Championship resumes

Southampton maintained their perfect start to the Barclays Women’s Championship season with a convincing win over Blackburn Rovers. 

Sophia Pharoah and Lucia Kendall scored to hand the Saints a 2-0 win after London City Lionesses came out on top in a five-goal thriller against Watford. 

Saints on top

Southampton followed up their 4-1 win over Lewes on the opening weekend with a 2-0 triumph over Blackburn Rovers. 

After a goalless first half, Sophia Pharoah pounced on a brilliant ball over the top before producing a delightful dinked finish to beat Blackburn stopper Alexandra Brooks. 

Molly Pike thought she had doubled her side’s lead after her shot at goal squeezed past Brooks, but it was cleared off the line, and the score remained 1-0. 

However, it was 2-0 in stoppage time when Lucia Kendall fired an effort against the post. 

The effort rebounded, going in off the back of Brooks to wrap up another three points for the hosts. 

Lionesses roar in five-goal thriller

London City Lionesses battled back from a goal down to beat Watford 3-2. 

Summer signing Abbie Lafayette gave the visitors a 16th-minute lead, but Connie Scofield equalised just four minutes later with a powerful shot into the bottom right corner. 

And then Danielle Carter gave the hosts the edge at the break with a precision strike after an impressive run from deep. 

Chantelle Boye-Hlorkah scored a stunning effort to stretch the lead ten minutes into the second half. 

However, Watford made the hosts sweat in the closing stages after Carly Johns’ neat finish beat Lionesses keeper Grace Moloney. 

Eagles soar to first win of the season 

Araya Dennis scored on her debut to help inspire Crystal Palace to a 2-1 win on the road at Birmingham City. 

An exciting final 15 minutes saw the Eagles go a goal ahead after captain Aimee Everett headed Felicity Gibbons’ outstanding cross into the back of the net. 

In the 90th minute, Annabel Blanchard produced a moment of magic to find Dennis, and the 17-year-old made no mistake, neatly tucking the ball past Lucy Thomas. 

However, Birmingham City got on the scoresheet themselves in stoppage time through Louise Quinn.  

Durham stay unbeaten

Durham followed up their opening-day draw with a clinical 2-0 win over Lewes. 

The first half finished goalless, but the game burst into life in the 80th minute. 

Amy Andrews made no mistake when she capitalised on a melee in the box, giving Durham the lead from close range.

Poppy Pritchard made sure of things in stoppage time, rolling the ball past her marker and tucking it into the back of the net. 

Sunderland edge past The Blades

Mary McAteer scored the decisive goal as Sunderland beat Sheffield United 1-0 in a closely-fought encounter. 

McAteer’s volley found the bottom-right corner after The Blades failed to deal with Katie Kitching’s delivery into the box ten minutes before half-time. 

Isobel Goodwin almost equalised less than five minutes later, but Claudia Moan produced an excellent save to keep her side ahead. 

Sheffield United’s Jessica Sigsworth was shown a red card in stoppage time to end a disappointing afternoon for the hosts. 

Charlton struggle to capitalise on player advantage

Charlton failed to capitalise on Sanne Troelsgaard’s red card as they drew 0-0 with Reading. 

The first half ended goalless, but a lively start to the second period saw Troelsgaard sent off for a challenge off the ball.

The visitors could have taken the lead in the 19th minute when summer signing Karin Muya got in behind. 

She found Melissa Johnson in the box, but the forward’s tame shot from the penalty spot was straight at Reading stopper Emily Orman.

Share article