Unbeaten Sunderland march on in Barclays Women’s Championship

Sunderland maintained their unbeaten start to the Barclays Women’s Championship season with a clinical 3-1 win over Reading.

The hosts broke the deadlock two minutes before half-time when Ellen Jones pounced on a loose ball from a corner and fired left-footed into the back of the net.

The manner and timing of that goal would prove a body blow to the visitors and five minutes after the break, they were undone by another corner as Ejupi poked home a rebound to make it 2-0.

Katie Kitching put the game to bed just past the hour mark when she dribbled from inside her own half and slotted home after Reading were caught napping from an attacking corner.

Freya Gregory gave the visitors a lifeline with a well-taken goal on 74 minutes but it would prove a consolation as Sunderland held on for a statement win.

Palace ace london derby 

Crystal Palace hit near neighbours London City Lionesses for six to continue their rise up the Barclays Women’s Championship table.

Annabel Blanchard’s second-half hat-trick was at the heart of another big win for free-scoring Palace, who have now scored 23 goals in six league games.

Molly-Mae Sharpe got a crucial opening goal midway through the first half and it was one-way traffic from there on in with further strikes from Shanade Hopcroft and Anna Filbey.

Palace now have four wins from five matches in the second tier, still unbeaten this season and sitting a point behind early pacesetters Southampton and Sunderland with a game in hand.

saints march on

Durham’s winless run on the road continued as Southampton emerged 2-1 victors in a tight clash.

The visitors fell behind on 15 minutes, Rianna Dean tapping home the rebound after Ella Morris’ shot was saved by Tatiana Saunders.

Saoirse Noonan came within a whisker of an equaliser in the 34th minute, striking the crossbar, but she was on hand to provide the assist when the deserved leveller arrived in first half stoppage time.

Durham were behind again by the time the whistle blew for half time as Dean volleyed home her second of the afternoon.

The hosts had the chance to settle the outcome from the spot when Dean was fouled by Saunders with 20 minutes to play but the goalkeeper made instant amends, saving Dean’s penalty to deny her a hat-trick.

But a late leveller was not forthcoming, Sarah Robson coming closest when her 79th-minute effort was kept out by Rendall.

Lewes’ late show

Lewes claimed a precious 2-1 win over fellow strugglers Watford, their first BWC victory of the season.

The visitors took the lead in style on 13 minutes when a flowing team move ended in a clinical finish from Caragh Hamilton.

Watford pulled level six minutes later with another well-crafted effort, Laila Harbert slipping Bianca Baptiste through to net an equaliser.

In the dying moments of an action-packed first half, Emily Moore made a stunning double save from Grace Palmer’s penalty and the subsequent rebound.

The winner came two minutes from time when Grace Riglar swept home to earn her side a vital victory.

blues silence bramall lane

Birmingham City blew away Sheffield United with two goals in each half to claim a thumping 4-0 win at Bramall Lane.

The Blues hit the front on two minutes when Gemma Lawley nodded home Lucy Quinn’s corner.

After United’s Isobel Goodwin saw her effort repelled from a tight angle, it was two on 28 minutes when Martha Harris’ exocet found the top corner from 25 yards.

City buried the game as a contest less than ten minutes into the second half when Quinn volleyed home a Charlie Quinn cross for 3-0.

Stenson had to be at her best to prevent Ivana Fuso from adding to the scoreline shortly after but was powerless to stop Remi Allen charging down a late clearance and making it four late on.

Charlton edge Blackburn

What looked set to be a tight battle on paper proved just that with Kayleigh Green’s spot-kick earning Charlton a narrow 1-0 win at Blackburn.

The two sides went toe-to-toe in the first half with Blackburn’s Lucy Shepherd forcing Sian Rogers into a sharp save and Kayleigh Green coming close for the visiting side.

The flashpoint came on 49 minutes when Helen Seed brought down her marker in the box and Green calmly slotted home the eventual winner from the spot.

Share article